Every parent has dreams and aspirations of seeing their child get the best of everything. That includes the best education possible that one can afford.
My daughter might be too young for me to kick off the planning, but being the doting dad that I am, I have great plans for her.
There are some life lessons though that I would like my daughter to know before she goes off to college.
1. Find your passion. Do only that which inspires you. Try out options and then finally settle down on what you would love to do and do it with all your heart. You might not get off to the best of the starts initially, but know that we have your back and ultimately if you do what you love, money will follow suit. Don’t make, money and earnings your first priority.
2. You are unique. Do not compare yourself to anyone else. It is a waste of your mind space and energies. You have your own contributions to make to the world and everyone around you. So do your own thing and don’t bother about the rest.
3. Keep your manners in place. Your please, thank yous and welcomes are going to take you a long way. No one likes to deal with ill-tempered and foul-mouthed people. To have the ability to be polite and get your work done simultaneously is an art. Everyone likes to be around people who are pleasing and gracious. Also don’t be a complainer and a whiner. Be a go getter. If something does not go your way, don’t brood on it. Pick yourself up and restart with a smile on your face.
4. Look after yourself. Health is wealth. This adage is true for a reason. You need to take care of yourself physically, mentally as well as spiritually.
5. Know that at times you will fail. It isn’t fatal. You will bounce back. Everything in life won’t turn out the way you would like it to. There are bound to be ups and downs so be prepared for both.
6. Count your blessings. Be grateful for what you have. There are many out there who are struggling with the basics so if you have the privilege, be thankful.
7. Have integrity. Stick with what you believe. Don’t let anyone shake your faith. Your values and your integrity make you the person you are. Let no one violate what you hold as important in your life.
8. Take a little risk in life. A leap of faith might work out just the way you would have wanted. You cannot always achieve what you want in life by being careful all the time.
9. Take care of your friendships. Cultivate and nurture the connections. They can be your support system throughout your life. At the same time don’t tolerate negativity in life and cut out people if they don’t contribute meaningfully to your life.
10. Lastly, don’t think so much of what others are going to think of you. Happiness is when you let go of all the unnecessary thoughts in your head and focus on what is real. So take a deep breath and embark on your life that is awaiting you.